08 October 2008

Thoughts on the Second Debate

So here are some of my thoughts on last night’s debate.
Boring, nothing new and neither candidate followed the rules. I wonder why they have debates anyway?

Oh well. Two things stood out for me though.

The first thing was the question from the 78-year-old Fiorra from Chicago.

Brokaw: All right, gentlemen, I want to just remind you one more time about time. We're going to have a larger deficit than the federal government does if we don't get this under control here before too long.

Sen. McCain, for you, we have our first question from the Internet tonight. A child of the Depression, 78-year-old Fiorra from Chicago.

Since World War II, we have never been asked to sacrifice anything to help our country, except the blood of our heroic men and women. As president, what sacrifices -- sacrifices will you ask every American to make to help restore the American dream and to get out of the economic morass that we're now in?




This got me to thinking about the sacrifices I heard about from my parents, two of which were the rationing of food. The photo shows a weeks worth of rationed food, common during WW II. And no nylon stockings for the women. You know to get the look of seams they actually used eyebrow pencil to draw lines up the back of their legs. But that’s another topic.



So when I heard that question my mind immediately went to “personal sacrifice.” You know an individual doing without something that we have come to take for granted and actually expect. You know, we can eat what we want, drive as much as we want, wear what we want and the like. For the greater good, would we be able to even consider doing without anything? What would happen if the President asked us as a nation to sacrifice?

I thought of the two responses, Sen. Obama came the closest to asking the public to sacrifice, when he took the question in the direction of energy. It was specific and of course timely. He said:

...each and every one of us can start thinking about how can we save energy in our homes, in our buildings....



The second point that stood out was this question:

Brokaw: Quick discussion. Is health care in America a privilege, a right, or a responsibility?
Sen. McCain?
McCain: I think it's a responsibility….
Obama: Well, I think it should be a right for every American.


There is nothing I can add to that one except I am glad to hear it acknowledged as a right, certainly not a privilege.




You can read the entire transcript here

No comments: