10 October 2008

Hanging On


I posted this in response to a question over at raincitypastor. You can read the original here

The reason I am posting it here is because in these remaining days until the election we are told to expect even more negative campaigning and even less focusing on the issues. There is the rhetoric at some of the campaign rallies that seem to rile up the crowds by stoking anger and division. (See video from previous post). Can it get any worse?


I agree that the two party system and the choices offered by that system are less than satisfactory. But this is what we have. And this time I am not going to make a protest vote although I admit as in elections past, I am tempted.

The campaigning is dirty and getting dirtier. The rallies are ugly, are the smears are rampant. The candidates lie and manipulate and their handlers are even worse. The candidates purport to be people of faith, yet they seem to ignore the Ninth Commandment. Is there an exemption on “not bearing false witness” during an election?

So, this time I am voting for the candidate who seems to me to be running the cleaner campaign of the two. And although it is very hard to hear amid all the commotion, if you listen very closely you can hear an ever so slightly quieter rhetoric coming from one side of the campaign trail and that candidate gets my support.


As a citizen, it is hard to stay focused and easy to become fearful and disenchanted. As a person of faith I try and trust that in what ever the circumstances God is there and all will be well.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Before we make a choice we may regret for the next four years, the accusations against Barack Obama should be carefully considered, as they are here.