19 August 2008

the english language is missing a word....


Stephen’s niece Michelle (his brother’s daughter, not my brother’s daughter. Yes he has two nieces named Michelle). Anyway, his brother’s daughter is an English teacher. She told Stephen this story: At some point she was helping a student with a paper where he was using the word “developed” several times in his story. She reviewed his work and tried to encourage him to expand his vocabulary. She suggested that he try and come up with another descriptive word to enhance his paper without overusing the word “developed.” She offered some alternatives including the word “evolved" which would have maintained the integrity of his story and the assignment. He responded that he was not allowed to use that word. Evolved??? That's right, evolve as in evolution???

Yes, there are people out there who will not use the complete English language because, why???

1 comment:

haykind said...

Re: Censorship
Personally I am as in favour of censorship as I am of capital punishment. The only problem is that I also believe in egalitarianism. Therefore if I allow myself to kill and censor I must grant the same to you. Quite frankly I don't trust you to not kill or censor me. So I only believe in killing and censoring if it's my ball and I don't have to share it. And I trust you more than I've trusted any governent. Read Milgram or the marvellous book On Killing to appreciate the Nuremberg signficance of governmental ethics. I did love how Bishop Ingham opened the dialogue of sharing and ecumenicalism in his Mansions of the Spirit book by the gracious East Indian asking the youthful evangelical, 'is it our turn, oh, I see we don't get a turn, ah so that's how this evangelicalism works." If I allow censorship and killing then at least I want to go first. It's my ball really.