27 August 2008

280 Indian Road

Well, as my little blog is growing, I find I am adding more and more, not only from my own thoughts and feelings, but also bits and pieces from my life and those memories which have informed my life.

My dad, as he was aging and before macular degeneration completely took over his eye sight, began writing. He liked to think of these writing (on yellow lined paper pads) as his "memoirs" and I only wish he could have written more. I have about a half dozen handwritten pages of his memories. I am pleased to share this one with you all.

Some of you know my Grandma Mimi's house as it was when were children. For others, here is my dad's recollection of this house his dad built, here in his is own words


My Dad’s “Dream House:

At the age of 8 or 9 (I’m not positive of my age) my dad started building on a beautiful parcel of land in the City of Piedmont. It was 3.5 acres facing on both La Salle Avenue and Indian Road. It was heavily wooded with oak on the east and the land sloped and was quite open to the west. In between it was level and it was here that the house was built. It was dad’s “dream house,” which in later years was designated a showplace.

The house was three stories with a full basement and living quarters for a man servant. A large laundry area was also located in the basement. I remember a heavy table with all sorts of pads and an ironing sheet. The table was suitable for ironing bed sheets.

The ground floor consisted of a large foyer or entry hall, to the left was the library, Straight ahead through French doors was the living room, a room of ample size. Another pair of French doors led to the dining room. Off the dining room was the breakfast room, the butler’s pantry and the kitchen with the 8 burner and 4 oven Magic Chef creation, then the vegetable pantry and larder.

The second floor was reached via a formal staircase and contained a guest room, master bathroom, Mother’s room, Dad’s room and bathroom. My sister Betty’s room and bath, a maids room and bath, plus sewing room.

The third floor was the domain of me and my brothers. We each had a room, four bedrooms, a bath and sleeping porch. The décor was strictly masculine. Except for the bathroom and sleeping porch, the entire floor was constructed of redwood board and batten.

Dad and Mother entertained in great fashion. A formal dinner at times, countless casual parties, tremendous “open house”get togethers at Christmas or New Years. My brother’s and I were able to share in any and all of these functions.

Mother and Dad were very proud of their home and the beautiful gardens surrounding it. Dad was a rhododendron and azalea fancier and quite possibly had the largest privately owned garden of this type in California. He also planted three five foot redwood trees in the center of the garden. Those trees now standing some 50 or 60 feet in height are living landmarks of 280 Indian Road, Piedmont.

Mother and Dad both passed away in the house. Dad in 1940 and Mother in 1963.

No comments: