18 July 2008

and more......

I already mentioned that it seems if you go looking for the worst in life, you will find it. It has always been there in every age and generation. But are we to focus on it?

I prefer to face the truth about life and at the same time try and see the good in my fellow human beings.

For example, after the wedding of Jenna Bush I began trying to see her father as a dad instead as a President. It really helps when you stop to humanize those with whom you disagree.

Disclaimer: I am an independent/moderate politically, neither conservative nor liberal. Those labels are simply too limiting in this complex and fallen world.

This life often has its challenges but God is with us and all will be well.

Psalm 30:5 - For his anger is but for a moment, and his favor is for a lifetime. Weeping may tarry for the night, but joy comes with the morning.

3 comments:

Andrew said...

"For example, after the wedding of Jenna Bush I began trying to see her father as a dad instead as a President. It really helps when you stop to humanize those with whom you disagree."

Well said! I think it is the demonizing of the "other" that halts the progression of meaningful dialog. As you say, most of those who oppose us still love their families, enjoy an evening with friends, do kind things, etc... If we can add those images to our perception of their rhetoric, we might go further in our conversations.

Sherry said...

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for your comment. No one knows about my blog yet, I am still trying it on for size. How did you find it?

Your response further describes exactly what I am trying to say and how I am trying to live. Thanks again.

Andrew said...

Google analytics tells me when I get a hit that was referenced from another site. I didn't recognize one, so I went to it and it was from a link you put to my site in the comments section of the blog ... which was linked back to your site. :)