24 September 2008

Taking a Deep Breath




I found this wonderful piece over at The Episcopal Café, Advice for Electiontide. In my haste to speak (or write) my mind (from my bias) I found this message by Sara Miles most humbling.

Read it here


In the meantime,
Grant us, Lord, not to be anxious about earthly things, but to love things heavenly; and even now, while we are placed among things that are passing away, to hold fast to those that shall endure; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

1 comment:

Steve H. said...

Sherry,

That was a fantastic letter. It is so easy to fall into an us vs. them mentality when we surround ourselves with only like minded people. There is the famous story of a New York Times editor (whose name I can't remember) during the 70's of being completely shocked that Richard Nixon won the election simply because she "didn't know a single person who liked him". How do people have friends that are not both Democrat and Republican? And even more as Christians, shouldn't we rise above the fray? When Tammy and I were first married, Bill Clinton had been in office a couple years. She started saying some negative things about him and I asked her to tell me one good thing he's done. She was startled. I told her people will respect her opinion much more (namely me) if it was shown that the criticism she had of Clinton had been rationally thought out, rather than just what she had heard from the "right" If we are forced to admit the positives in someone 1) we see that person in a new light 2) it balances our own views.